Sunday, March 8, 2009

Wiki wise

Am feeling somewhat virtuous, I have contributed in the world of wiki even if it was a small one liner. Katie will have to insire myself to a photo like yours lol.
I was bragging about this small achievement to someone and they raised a very good point about wiki. The general wiki that a lot of people look up to gain information about things i.e a breed of animal, a celebrity etc run the risk of gaining a lot of misinformation as anyone can add whatever they want to wiki. I think it would be lax of us to assume people to not print errors, whether intentional or not. But it has insipred me as a (potential) librarian to ensure that I inform wiki users of all of the ways of gaining information, not just depending on wiki. Kids doing school assignments springs to mind with this.
But on a more personal level, I have greatly enjoyed the wiki activity, and found it very interesting gaining information. I particually liked the Library Success wiki and some of the articles on that. The article of books post 9-11 was particularly interesting.

No comments: